Dam 26, with a height of 8.4 feet and an overfall of 376 feet, provided the water for the Oaks Canal, named for Thomas Oakes, one of the engineer-builders of the Schuylkill Navigation. The original 1822 dam and lock were replaced in 1840. In the 1960s the Philadelphia Electric Company, the dam's present owners, over-capped and sheet-piled it.
Lock 60, a guard lock with a lift of 1.35 feet, is located approximately one half mile south of the dam breast. The 90' x 15' chamber, now serving as the bypass flume, was built in 1839; the 11 0' x 18' chamber was completed in 1846